|Organization Name||City of Milwaukee
|Job Title||Public Relations Supervisor (Common Council)
|Geographic Area||Southeast Wisconsin
Milwaukee is the major financial, medical, educational, sports, arts, entertainment, and transportation center for Wisconsin. The City of Milwaukee employs 7,600+ hard-working, service-oriented people in a wide range of positions. We seek people who are committed to keeping Milwaukee a desirable and safe place in which to live and work. We fill positions in general city government, the police force, the fire service, and in Milwaukee Public Schools (in non-teaching positions). The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Public Information Manager, the Public Relations Supervisor assists in managing the public relations and publications functions of the Public Information Division of the Common Council-City Clerk’s Office.
- Writes television scripts and performs on-air hosting and reporting duties for programming on City Channel 25.
- Assists the Public Information Manager in supervising and directing graphic design staff who provide public relations and publishing functions.
- Writes news releases, newsletters, speeches, brochures, flyers, reports, and promotional materials.
- Performs media relations duties by maintaining various news media contacts, arranges news conferences, and disseminates information to the news media and to the public using social media and via the City of Milwaukee’s E‑Notify system.
- Provides digital photography and photographic services.
- Provides public relations advice and counsel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: The Public Relations Supervisor must be willing and able to work beyond standard business hours on occasion.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, mass communications, or a related field from an accredited school or university.
- Three years of media affairs, public relations, or communications experience performing duties closely related to this position.
- A valid driver's license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
- Residency in the City of Milwaukee within six months of appointment and throughout employment.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- On-air experience in television or radio broadcast journalism.
- News media experience.
- Supervisory experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public relations, communications, and media affairs.
- Excellent oral and broadcast communication skills.
- Superior written and visual communication skills, including the ability to prepare written television scripts and write news releases, newsletters, speeches, reports, and various promotional materials.
- Knowledge of supervision and training techniques and ability to provide direction to staff.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships with elected officials, department heads and City managers, the news media, and the public.
- Ability to plan, organize, and accomplish work, manage multiple assignments simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Skill in analyzing and solving problems, as well as ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Skill in using standard computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation programs.
- General understanding of photography, graphic design, web page creation, and video production technology.
|Compensation & Benefits||
THE CURRENT PAY RANGE (1C) IS: $50,206-$70,295 annually with excellent benefits.
|How To Apply||
APPLICATIONS and further information may be obtained in person or via mail from the City of Milwaukee Department of Employee Relations, 200 E. Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee WI 53202-3554, by visiting http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs/OfficialAdministrative/PRS, or by calling 414-286-3751.
- You must submit with your application three samples of news stories or publications that you have written (500 to 2,000 words per sample). Writing samples cannot be returned, so do not send originals.
- College transcripts are required and should either be attached to the application or as an email attachment to email@example.com, or sent to Box PRS, Department of Employee Relations, City of Milwaukee, 200 E. Wells Street, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202. Student copies are acceptable.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: training and experience evaluation; written, oral or performance tests; or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job. The examination will be held as soon as practical after March 30, 2012.
Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice; however, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified by mail of the date, time, and place of the examination.