Develop and implement overall communications strategy:
- Work with cross functional teams to identify key messages, various target audiences, etc. to establish annual, quarterly and monthly communications strategies
- Ensure that communication tools are compliant with Federal requirements for accessibility and can be demonstrated as such to federal auditors as needed
- Innovate and ensure consistent brand standards across all communications platforms including print, digital, social media, trade event presence, etc. supplemented by collateral imaging and messaging with our partners
- Establish and optimize use of outside vendors, as budget allows, to assist in design and implementation of Communications functions
- Fully leverage the time and skill set of internal Communications team-members, supplemented by outside vendors to ensure communications strategy and objectives are achieved
Manage print and digital communications as well as public relations activities:
- Oversee all aspects regarding development and distribution of Food Export – Northeast and Food Export – Midwest’s print, digital and public relations efforts including web content, print and electronic newsletters, social media channels, video content, annual reports, etc.
- Development and maintenance of all presentation materials for both associations. At times being tasked with giving public presentations on the associations to various stake holders including participant companies, USDA Foreign Agriculture staff, member State Departments of Agriculture, member state
- Congressional delegations and relevant committees, and other industry groups/partners. Management of all public relations functions to communicate information about the associations to relevant audiences
- Responding to inquiries from the media, funding agencies, or member state agencies with customized or formulated correspondence
- Overseeing identification, creation, tracking, dissemination of organizational success stories to the public and state/federal government officials including members of congress on a regular and ongoing basis
- Establishing and maintaining a solid network of public relations and media outlets
- Monitor media for activity related to Food Export’s mission, and engage in both proactive and reactive communication efforts to address issues as necessary
- Address other communications-related duties such as proactive public relations strategy for various industry sectors, especially seafood; legislative education strategy; media monitoring and response and development of a crisis communication plan and implement as required
Supports and leads staff for effective implementation:
- Responsible for supervision of Associate and Coordinator staff members both in the Chicago and Philadelphia based offices with direct accountability for their successful performance
- Lead efforts on selection and hiring recommendations for vacant or new positions
- Conducting mid-year and annual performance reviews for all communications staff
- Contributes to and supports the Food Export Management Team through participation in regular meetings, collecting and responding to communications needs from various program areas, etc. Adherence to a “challenge up, support down” approach to management is essential.
Performs duties in a manner consistent with the organizations’ standards of excellence:
- Operates in a manner which includes Service and Quality, Integrity and Responsibility, Timeliness, Professionalism and Fiscal Responsibility, Teamwork, Communications, and Staff Development.