Milwaukee Public Schools is committed to accelerating student achievement, building positive relationships between youth and adults and cultivating leadership at all levels.
The district’s commitment to improvement continues to show results:
- More MPS students are taking college-level Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses;
- The MPS Class of 2018 earned $86+ million in scholarships; and
- MPS is home to seven of the state and nation’s top high schools according to U.S. News and World Report and the Washington Post.
Director I, Communications & Outreach
Provides overall vision, direction and guidance to the division ensuring alignment with key district goals.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides overall vision, direction and guidance to the division ensuring alignment with key district goals.
- Oversees development and implementation of a district-wide brand. Uses new and traditional media to reinforce the brand.
- Develops and implements an integrated strategic plan that promotes efforts to inform and engage external audiences and stakeholders.
- Leads the day-to-day operations of the communications department.
- Serves as the chief contact for the development of major and robust partnerships in the district that are not tied to volunteer efforts and are aligned with district incentives.
- Coordinates with the Executive Director of Milwaukee Public Schools Foundation and develops methods to attract resources to the Foundation.
- Develops and administers the departmental budget and monitors expenditures.
- Manages personnel, to include work allocation, training and problem resolution, evaluating performance and making recommendations for personnel actions according to the policies and procedures of MPS and direction provided by the Milwaukee Public School’s Board of Directors.
- Actively supports the Five Priorities for Success.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Position requires a bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, marketing or a related field. Additional education is desired.
- Position requires 7+ years of leadership experience in a communications office.
- Supervisory experience in a large, urban system or an institution of higher learning is desired.
- A combination of experience and education will be considered.
The salary range is $87,183 – $126,471.