Duties and Responsibilities:
1. The Associate Director of University Communication develops and implements media relations plans and marketing initiatives and assists in the strategic development and implementation of other marketing and communication plans that support the university’s overall marketing/communication priorities, including enrollment, fundraising and academic reputation.
2. The Associate Director provides counsel for leadership, including the Senior Director of University Communication and Vice President of Marketing and Communication, related to media relations and issues management.
3. In coordination with Senior Director of University Communication, lead strategic communications for high-level university initiatives, such as financial communication, University Leadership Council Communication, major gifts and grants, commencement, etc.
4. Serve as a secondary university spokesperson and the primary spokesperson to student media and for topics related to the Office of Public Affairs and Marquette University Police Department.
5. Contribute to the work of the Senior Director of University Communication and Vice President of Marketing & Communication in the development of crisis communication strategy/plans.
6. Serve as media relations team leader by identifying and pitching story concepts locally, regionally and nationally; researching and writing news releases, web materials, magazine and other communication vehicles as appropriate; and editing and proofreading of colleagues’ work.
7. Build and maintain relationships with members of the media and other key external constituents.
8. Serve as primary liaison for a college beat(s) as assigned, providing counsel and assistance for marketing and communication initiatives.
9. Participate in the communication team’s on-call rotation schedule for issues/emergencies; assist with media or communication response for such events as needed. Serve as authorized approver and editor of the Marquette University Police Department’s “Safety Alerts” to the campus community.
10. In coordination with the Director of Social Media, lead and implement social media strategies for proactive media relations and other university communication efforts, in addition to incorporation into crisis communication plans.
11. Maintain the media-facing @MarquetteMedia Twitter account to interact with journalists via social media; help maintain the MUPD Twitter account when threats/potential threats need to be communicated quickly.
12. Lead media training for the development of both new and current faculty and staff.
13. Contribute to the development of digital communication strategies, specifically aimed at the media or other targeted audiences.
14. Edit and approve distribution of “Marquette In the News.”
15. Coach and mentor employees, specifically with respect to media relations and other communication skills.
16. Build and maintain relationships within the university to promote university messages and educate key leaders on communication strategy.
17. Partner with OMC colleagues on communication initiatives, Web content/strategy, event promotion and delivery of key messages
18. Perform other duties and responsibilities as required, assigned, or requested.