We are a community asset that enhances the prosperity and public image of Milwaukee as a tourist destination by developing strategic partnerships, driving economic impact, and delivering indispensable expertise to the hospitality industry and municipalities.
The Greater Milwaukee Convention and Visitors Bureau, D.B.A. VISIT Milwaukee, is a private, non-profit corporation formed in 1967. As the main destination marketing organization (DMO) for the greater Milwaukee area, our primary goal is representing and promoting Greater Milwaukee as a premier destination for major conventions, corporate meetings, group tours, and business and leisure travelers. Our goal of increasing visitor and meeting generated revenue is achieved through sophisticated and integrated sales, services, marketing, and public relations programs geared to local, regional, national and international target markets. Through this process, VISIT Milwaukee is able to reach new and existing markets to increase visitors and economic impact to Greater Milwaukee.
The communication coordinator provides overall support and project management for the communications department. The role includes overseeing travel writer logistics, event coordination of travel writer conferences, department tracking and reporting, copywriting, public relations research, and internal and external communications support.
Required education and experience:
- Associates degree or equivalent from an accredited institution in marketing, public relations, advertising, journalism or a related field, or equivalent relevant professional experience.
- Minimum 1-3 years of prior experience.
- Team-centered experience desired, past work within the tourism and/or hospitality industry experience a plus.
Required skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- Ability to work on a collaborative, fast-paced, team.
- Must possess demonstrated experience in written communications skills, including copywriting and editing.
- Strong verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Possesses strong technical experience, including advanced computer experience. Proficient with MS Office applications, working with databases, and generating written and visual reports, including experience with Prezi and PowerPoint.
- Willingness to “jump in” and be a team player.
- Strong commitment to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace.
- Keen attention to detail, the ability to coordinate multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Must be able to develop networks within the local tourism and media community.
- Must be a driven individual with a strong work ethic, the ability to work at a rapid pace, and to identify trends and opportunities and formulate action plans with a quick turnaround.
- Ability to travel by air and personal vehicle. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to participate in active itineraries during media tours, both indoor and outdoor, including walking, bicycle, and kayak tours.
- Must have internet access at home.
- Must be able to work nights and occasional weekends as required.
- Ability to sit or stand at desk, operate computer keyboard and view computer screen for six to eight hours per day.
- Must be able to hear and converse via telephone and in person.
- May be required to lift boxes and small equipment up to 50 pounds in weight.
- Travel in personal automobile may be required for business; occasional air travel may be required.
Note: This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.