Fairview Health Services (fairview.org) is an award-winning, nonprofit health system providing exceptional care across the full spectrum of health care services. Joined by HealthEast in June 2017, Fairview is one of the most comprehensive and geographically accessible systems in the state, with 12 hospitals—including an academic medical center and long-term care hospital—serving the greater Twin Cities metro area and north-central Minnesota.
Its broad continuum also includes 56 primary care clinics, specialty clinics, senior living communities, retail and specialty pharmacies, pharmacy benefit management services, rehabilitation centers, counseling and home health care services, medical transportation, an integrated provider network and health insurer PreferredOne. In partnership with the University of Minnesota, Fairview’s 32,000 employees and 2,400 affiliated providers embrace innovation to drive a healthier future through healing, discovery and education.
The Communications Specialist ensures exceptional execution of communication tactics that meet specific business needs and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders that advance our mission of healing, discovery and education. At the direction and oversight of other team members, Communications Specialists execute a wide variety of tactics, including web content, electronic newsletters, print newsletters, events, videos and interactive/social media. Communications Specialists must possess strong writing and editing skills for a variety of media, have basic photography and video experience, be comfortable interacting with individuals in diverse roles and many locations, enjoy event coordination, be passionate about capturing and sharing the Fairview brand experience, and be able to take work direction and feedback from multiple sources. The Communications Specialist works in collaboration with a variety of partners in communications, marketing, creative services and others across the organization.
Gain insight of stakeholders, issues, communication trends and environmental considerations.
- Understand core organizational strategies and business needs as well as owned and partner brands
- Understand core audiences and channels
- Understand communications best practices
- Understand integrated roles of communications, marketing, strategy, philanthropy and human resources
- Gather appropriate data and information from disparate sources
Develop strategies for internal/external communications and leverage key insights and functional expertise.
- Identify communication tactics for specific business partner needs or initiatives
- Identify opportunities to foster employee, physician and community engagement
- Use consistent processes, templates and tools to execute plans
Create communications that achieve results.
- Produce content for electronic and print publication
- Create and update web content
- Coordinate high-touch communication tactics like employee forums, leader rounding, community events
- Monitor effectiveness of all communication tactics and adjust approaches as needed
- Track expenses and ensure projects are within budget
- Develop and foster relationships with colleagues
Evaluate communication performance (effectiveness and efficiency).
- Measure desired outcomes
- Apply learnings to planning process