- News writing and corporate communications - Develop, write and edit content for various projects of media relations and internal communications including news releases and feature stories, pitching news media, successfully garnering media coverage for assigned clinical programs and services as well as work on employee communications and other communication assignments. Projects are consistent with strategic communications goals for the organization and are planned in coordination with associate director of media relations.
- Public relations project management - Act as project manager on specific internal and external communications projects as needed.
- Effectiveness measurement - Assist with monthly and quarterly media relations evaluation and measurement reports for media relations and Public Relations to illustrate achievement of ongoing goals of the public relations function; contribute communications content to the monthly Marketing Reports of the Department of Marketing and Communications.
- Public relations inquiry management - Answer incoming news media and other calls to public relations office; handle inquiries or triage calls to appropriate personnel.
- Proactive media relations - Develop and place stories about Rush in local and national print, broadcast and social media based on an annual media relations plan that supports Rush’s strategic marketing and communications objectives; coordinate placement plans with associate director of media relations and colleagues. Distribute news stories via email, web, social media, etc.
- Responsive media relations - With guidance from the associate director of media relations, respond to news media inquiries and requests for information. Coordinate visits by media to the medical center by making arrangements for filming/interviews on site including in offices, operating rooms, clinics, patient rooms, etc., ensuring appropriate consent is obtained and activities do not disrupt normal patient care activities.
- News content for Newsroom, Rush Web site and social media channels - Assist with continuous improvement of Rush’s Internet-based newsroom. Creatively and strategically developing content to attract the public and media to news at Rush and to draw the media further into the site to learn more about Rush to help achieve marketing and communications goals and objectives; create graphic links, change image source, change text. Post news releases and edit the content on the Rush Newsroom section of the homepage.
- Write content for internal audiences – to appear in various communications. Coordinate with subject matter experts.
- Create communications plans (in coordination with internal communications director or associate director) for some projects.
- Edit and adjust content developed for external purposes for use in various internal communications. Conversely, adjust and edit internal communications content with external news value for use with news media and other external audiences.
- Intranet content – size photos, write and post content for the on intranet.
- Internal electronic communications - Write, edit, work with departments on approvals and send electronic communications.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Teamwork - As a member of the Public Relations and Marketing and Communications team, assist on projects to help achieve department wide goals. Coordinate with marketing and communications colleagues at Rush Oak Park Hospital, Rush Copley Medical Center and Rush University.