Education & Experience:
A bachelor’s degree is required for this position along with a minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in communications, media, or a related field. Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills are required, as is advanced proficiency in AP Style and/or Chicago Manual of Style. Excellent reporting, interviewing, and fact checking skills are required, as is experience with project management. Experience in higher education, the nonprofit sector, and/or a science and technology setting is a bonus.
Knowledge & Skills:
The right person for the job will be—
- Passionate about good editing, writing, and grammar
- Able to think critically and creatively
- Curious about the world
- Detail oriented and willing to go the extra mile to ensure factual accuracy
- Web savvy
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and working knowledge of Google Apps
- Able to work well under deadline
- Willing to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Willing to take direction
- Comfortable and have the skill set to go in person to investigate, interview, and draw out the details of stories ideas from faculty, students and upper administration
Candidates who are contacted for an interview may be required to take both a timed writing test and a timed copyediting test. In addition to vitae, candidates should provide work samples and references.