Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.
With a strong research focus and national ranking in sustainability, Titans demonstrate on a daily basis what students can do to change the world. UW Oshkosh offers nearly 200 majors, minors and emphases, in addition to 15 graduate programs and two doctoral programs. UW Oshkosh is your place to find your path, grow your world and learn to lead.
In addition to academic programs that meet 21 st century needs, students explore broad subjects through our nationally-recognized general education curriculum that celebrates inclusive excellence, fuels imagination and champions critical thinking.
Student success is at the heart of all that we do. Titans get the encouragement they need to thrive. Students in our undergraduate, graduate and online degree programs benefit from personalized support–with small class sizes, a wealth of writing, math and student support services, and personalized career and academic advising.
UW Oshkosh is part of the robust University of Wisconsin System—one of the largest systems of public higher education in the country. As a member of the System, UW Oshkosh provides students with state-wide resources and ensures top academic quality and accountability. Situated in the heart of the Fox Valley, UW Oshkosh has the “opportunity of place.” From internship and career opportunities to the wealth of entertainment and recreational opportunities, Oshkosh and the surrounding area have a lot to offer.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications, the Content Specialist will write, edit and proofread articles used in University publications (UW Oshkosh Today, magazines, major publications), media/news releases, social media initiatives and for marketing communications materials.
As a member of the UMC communications team, the Content Specialist will also serve as a media relations liaison and project manager supporting colleges and departments throughout the University as needed. Such tasks will be performed in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Typical office hours are 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Occasional evening/weekend work required.
Preparation of content for University publications (UW Oshkosh Today, Titan, college-level magazines), news/media relations efforts and marketing collateral (annual report, programs, event promotions, etc.) (65%)
- Contributes to the editorial content for UW Oshkosh Today and other public-facing storytelling platforms.
- Proposes and executes editorial content, working closely with other writers, photographers/videographers and social media team members.
- Cultivates authors and sources, commissioning stories and editing articles (copyediting and substantive editing).
- Plans, writes and edits articles, short-format pieces and related web content for colleges and departments.
- Researches, conducts interviews, and writes and edits news stories/releases featuring individuals, campus events and research initiatives.
- Assists editorial team with story generation, writing, editing and production for institutional and college level magazines, including writing stories, captions, headlines, subheads, and pull quotes; helping other writers/editors vet the content; copyediting and proofreading at various stages of magazine production; and contributing ideas to art direction and concepts.
Assist with media relations activities (10%)
- Assist in coordinating media requests in a timely manner
- Serve as back-up media relations/crisis communications contact as needed.
- Serve as marketing/media relations contact at University/College events.
- Assist in the distribution of media communications.
Project management and production (20%)
- Serves as manager and writer/editor of projects assigned.
- Conducts interviews and research as needed.
- Organizes team meetings and client presentations.
- Works with designers, photographers, production manager, and copy editor to manage and complete projects on time and at a high level.
Other duties as assigned (5%)