Reporting to the Managing Director of Consumer Public Relations, the Director of Consumer Public Relations will lead a newly formed team focused on protecting and promoting United’s reputation within the media for several of United’s most visible departments including Network Planning, Technology, Customer Experience and Marketing/Loyalty.
This individual will encourage and guide a team of 4-5 communications professionals who work to build an emotional connection with United’s customers through consistent positive media coverage in outlets who don’t typically cover the airline industry. They will both set the strategy and dig in to help the team implement, providing day-to-day guidance, coaching and direction to build their skills, effectively prioritize projects, and achieve the department’s larger objectives.
- Proven experience developing and implementing effective media relations campaigns for well-recognized consumer brands, ideally in the travel, CPG, transportation, retail, luxury lifestyle and/or technology spaces
- Deep personal network of consumer media relationships and a keen sense of how to craft a pitch that today’s busy reporters will take notice of
- Demonstrate a high level of executive presence providing counsel to C-level executives and acting as a company spokesperson
- Key liaison between the Corporate Communications function and executive leadership
- Create innovative ways that help the company effectively launch new products, routes, technologies, and partnerships
- Develop and implement consumer media strategies, tactics, and measurement benchmarks in close partnership with the areas of business they support
- Champion relationships with reporters through consistent, active pitching and networking.
- Stay attuned to news trends and constantly look for opportunities for United to engage
- Write and effectively edit communications plans, speeches, press releases, talking points, web copy, etc.
- Lead team performancesetting a high bar, helping prioritize the work, and delivering feedback in a timely manner
- Leading by example and putting the team in positions to succeed and shine in the eyes of their internal clients and fellow team members
United values diverse experiences, perspectives, and we encourage everyone who meets the minimum qualifications to apply. While having the “desired” qualifications make for a stronger candidate, we encourage applicants who may not feel they check ALL those boxes! We are always looking for individuals who will bring something new to the table!