MPS is the largest school district in Wisconsin with about 5,000 teachers and an additional 5,000 full- and part-time staff. Many options for career advancement are available. View open positions and read more about benefits on our website at mpsmke.com/careers.
Director I, Communications & Outreach
Provides overall vision, direction and guidance to the division ensuring alignment with key district goals.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides overall vision, direction and guidance to the division ensuring alignment with key district goals.
- Oversees development and implementation of a district-wide brand. Uses new and traditional media to reinforce the brand.
- Develops and implements an integrated strategic plan that promotes efforts to inform and engage external audiences and stakeholders.
- Leads the day-to-day operations of the communications department.
- Serves as the chief contact for the development of major and robust partnerships in the district that are not tied to volunteer efforts and are aligned with district incentives.
- Coordinates with the Executive Director of Milwaukee Public Schools Foundation and develops methods to attract resources to the Foundation.
- Develops and administers the departmental budget and monitors expenditures.
- Manages personnel, to include work allocation, training and problem resolution, evaluating performance and making recommendations for personnel actions according to the policies and procedures of MPS and direction provided by the Milwaukee Public School’s Board of Directors.
- Actively supports the Five Priorities for Success.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Position requires a bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, marketing or a related field. Additional education is desired.
- Position requires 7+ years of leadership experience in a communications office.
- Supervisory experience in a large, urban system or an institution of higher learning is desired.
- A combination of experience and education will be considered.
As of November 1, 2021, all MPS employees are required to be fully vaccinated. The health and safety of our staff and students is our number one priority. That’s why all offers of employment are contingent on the candidate showing proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (currently one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine) to pass the pre-employment requirements. Individuals with medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs that prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an accommodation from the vaccine requirement.
The salary range is $93,386 – $134,865.