MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Research and identify promising, compelling, mission-centered stories for development. (30% of time)
- Build and maintain strong relationships with outside producers and commissioning editors.
- Work with experts, producers and production companies to solicit and identify strong, on-mission content ideas.
- Research key subject matter areas (especially within TPT content pillars) to find great stories with high potential.
- Identify and develop content around promising on screen talent (both presenters and characters).
- Track content trends across networks to identify and follow up on opportunities.
- Engage directly with PBS and other networks to identify priorities and ideas for their specific needs.
- Create and maintain an Internal National Productions Department Development Slate.
Create highly compelling pitch materials (30% of time)
- Work with researchers, producers and production companies to create one pagers, beat sheets and detailed treatments.
- Hire and work with production companies, producers and graphic artists to create highly designed and compelling decks.
- Hire and work with production companies, producers and editors to create dazzling and dynamic pitch reels.
- Coordinate with team members to ensure that pitch materials are supported by solid budgets, schedules and other deliverables.
- Pitch projects internally, and participate in pitches externally, as warranted.
Special Projects and Long Range Content Initiatives (25% of time)
- Generate ideas and provide critical support for development of special projects and local and national initiatives.
- Attend cross-platform planning meetings and meet with editorial leads to help define initiative plans.
- Research relevant content area to identify themes and opportunities.
- Write proposals to lay out scope and detail of content initiatives.
Recruitment & Editorial DEI goals (10% of time)
- Work to ensure that content development includes a broad diversity of experts and ideas, as well as a sharp focus on stories that might have been ignored or forgotten in the past.
- Identify and recruit diverse talent both in front of the camera and behind it.
- Identify stories and themes within stories that speak to the BIPOC experience through authentic BIPOC voices.
- Meet or exceed the DEI goals of both TPT and PBS.
Other Duties as Assigned (5% of time)
- Participate as an active member of the Content Team.
- Contribute to shared goals and collaborate with colleagues on achievement of priorities.
- Represent TPT’s creative point of view, uphold organizational standards and production guidelines on all projects.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.