Building a community where there is poverty for no one and opportunity for everyone.
Honoring 150 years of service, Catholic Charities is a critical part of the social and civic infrastructure upon which the community relies to solve poverty, create opportunity and advocate for justice. Our programs for children, families and adults annually help approximately 20,000 people, regardless of faith, background or circumstance. Through our advocacy efforts, Catholic Charities serves as a tireless voice for those who often go unheard. Our work would not be possible without our dedicated volunteers and donors.
Our Mission: Catholic Charities of St. Paul and Minneapolis serves those most in need. We are a leader at solving poverty, creating opportunity and advocating for justice in the community.
The Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for shaping the public voice of Catholic Charities through all external communications, branding, media relations, marketing and digital media, as well as agencywide internal communications. The Director is an important member of the Catholic Charities senior leadership team, managing the development and execution of an agency-wide integrated communications plan designed to accomplish specific goals and deliverables.The Director uses communications and marketing to shape the work and purpose of Catholic Charities to increase awareness of and support for the people being served by its programs. The Director supervises, coaches and develops communications staff and serves as a liaison to key stakeholders within Catholic Charities and in the broader Twin Cities community.
1. Strategy and Leadership
- Provides vision, direction, and execution for internal and external communications, marketing, and public engagement efforts for the organization.
- Works in partnership with the Catholic Charities Development, Public Engagement and Advocacy teams to develop and implement strategic communication/engagement approaches.
- Analyzes and makes recommendations regarding brand, messaging, marketing materials, and digital content.
2. Marketing & Communications
- Develops and executes strategic marketing and communications plans through a deep understanding of segments, audience, and effective practices to achieve agency goals.
- Shephard the purpose and work of Catholic Charities Works closely with the Development team to increase both the number of donors and contributed revenue to the organization from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Works closely with the Advocacy & Public Engagement teams to coordinate messaging and activities to increase public participation and achieve desired outcomes.
- Oversees digital marketing and communications strategies.
- Uses Salesforce data to analyze communications outcomes and make necessary adjustments, and to establish benchmarks and future goals. Develops client-focused storytelling processes and trainings for agency staff.
- Customizes communications/external affairs strategies to effectively reach and motivate a diverse set of core audiences, while maintaining a strong and consistent Catholic Charities brand.
- Responsible for all Catholic Charities publications, printed and electronic communication, including writing/producing/editing/approving materials for individual departments and special Catholic Charities projects/initiatives.
- Works with relevant program staff and external experts as needed.
- Provides direction/counsel to organization leadership and staff to effectively market individual programs and services.
3. Internal Communications
- Responsible for ongoing development and execution of agencywide internal communications strategies and systems that provide increased transparency, access to important information and foster a culture of community and inclusion.
4. Media Relations
- Develops and manages earned and paid media strategies, including developing and maintaining media contact lists, fostering good working relationships with media, writing/editing strong media materials and identifying appropriate investments in paid media exposure.
- May serve as organization spokesperson and represents the organization at external functions as directed by the VP External Affairs.
- Provides support and training to organization leadership who will serve as media spokespeople.
5. Department/Team Management
- Recruits and hires team members.
- Supervises, coaches and develops department staff and coordinates with others across the organization to ensure the department is meeting its goals and objectives.
- Manages the department’s budget and budgeted amounts for specific projects.
- Tracks and reports on the reach and impact of marketing and communications initiatives.
- Works with team members to develop function metrics and prepares and distributes metrics reporting as required.
- Maintains Catholic Charities communications assets, such as photo files, archives of previous publications, etc.
6. Other duties as assigned