Baird is an employee owned, international wealth management, capital markets, private equity and asset management firm with more than 200 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. Established in 1919, Baird has over $300 billion in client assets and more than 4,500 associates serving the needs of individual, corporate, institutional, and municipal clients.
Baird has built an environment of trust, respect and teamwork, where associates are our greatest asset. As stated in our Associate Promise, we are passionate about how we achieve great outcomes together for our clients, communities and each other. Committed to being a great place to work, Baird ranks No. 13 on Fortune Magazine’s 100 Best Companies to Work For®, our 17th consecutive year on the list. To learn more about Baird’s culture, click here.
About our intern program:
Our competitive intern program is a robust experience that offers interns exposure to the business world and a meaningful work experience. Interns are treated as valuable team members while learning from experienced professionals in a collaborative, fun, and dynamic environment. Baird’s summer program activities include an Intern Welcome Event in our corporate office in Milwaukee, multiple Lunch & Learns, Baird Night at the Zoo, and many other informal events. Our interns have the opportunity to use a Baird Cares Day and be compensated to volunteer in the community. They are also eligible to apply for scholarships. Our informal mentor program gives interns an opportunity to network throughout Baird and learn about all the areas of the firm. To learn more, check out this video.
Our Public Relations Team:
An effective media relations program is vital to Baird’s strong brand, serves to advance other firm priorities and plays a role in our commitment to being a great place to work and strong culture. This individual works directly with Baird’s Public Relations team and collaborates with others in the Marketing & Communications Department in planning, developing, and implementing programs and efforts to effectively communicate Baird’s brand and messages both internally and externally. Strong writing, organizational and intrapersonal skills required. Must have a passion for working with the media and communicating through written word, enjoy teamwork and excel at handling multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
As a Public Relations Intern, you will:
- Assist with Baird’s overall media relations efforts, helping create news releases and other media correspondence, developing media lists, tracking coverage, coordinating reprints
- Coordinate relevant news postings to Baird’s web sites and social media accounts
- Conduct research for media relations purposes
- Help prioritize media inquiries and fulfill reporter requests
- Help identify relevant and timely topics for pitching Baird spokespersons for print, digital and broadcast media opportunities
- As appropriate, help research, write, and implement internal news stories
- Assist with communications and media relations efforts for community involvement and sponsorship opportunities as appropriate (ex. Baird Gives Back Week)
- Help research and fulfill awards & recognitions opportunities
- Actively participate in and may present at monthly PR team and M&C department meetings; participates in internal client meetings as appropriate
- Assist with educating Baird associates on the role of public relations and how it can help achieve the firm’s goals
- Help ensure PR approach and messages are consistent with Baird’s practices, culture, and brand
- Perform other duties in support of team, department and firm projects and activities
What makes this opportunity great:
- Ability to work with a variety of teams and leaders, proving your ability to be flexible and highly adaptable
- Team of associates passionate about achieving strong results for clients and while also giving to the communities where we live and work
- Being part of a unique culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives while emphasizing teamwork and a strong sense of partnership
- Opportunity to grow and be your best at work, at home, and in the community
Internship Location, Availability, and Hours:
The intern must be able to work part-time during the school semester, ranging between 15-20 hours per week and full-time during the summer, 37.5 hours per week. We are seeking a student who can start in May 2021. This position is based out of Baird's downtown Milwaukee headquarters, but we are flexible on intern location and able to accommodate a virtual work arrangement.
What we look for:
- Students graduating in May 2022 or after who are working toward a degree in Journalism, Public Relations or Communications. Also, must have completed class work in one or more of the following: public relations, journalism, communications
- Strong writing and communication skills, exceptional organizational/time management skills and attention to detail, and the ability to juggle multiple priorities
- An outgoing, highly motivated candidate who is a strategic thinker and takes initiative to learn and contribute to the team
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Experience with Critical Mention, Cision, or another media-monitoring service a plus
- Prior PR internship experience preferred, not required