(Knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to do the job well)
Requires a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, or a closely related field, and three to five years of professional work experience in marketing, communications, public relations, or a closely related field.
- Ability to balance multiple concurrent tasks and meet organizational deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and methods of public outreach and public relations.
- Skill in utilizing social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Prior experience in marketing and ability to utilize design software including but not limited to Adobe, Photoshop, and Canva.
- Exceptional professionalism and decision-making skills.
- Ability to effectively manage and respond when necessary to negative comments and media attention.
- Strong comfort level in managing front-line internal communications and external communications with the public/media.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Excellent people skills and an upbeat, enthusiastic attitude.
- Ability to work under general supervision and make independent decisions.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL ALSO HAVE:
- Prior experience in municipal public relations
- Knowledge of applicable state and local law, codes, and ordinances