The MWRD is working hard to manage stormwater, clean wastewater and recover valuable resources.
The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD) was created by the Illinois General Assembly in 1889 as the Sanitary District of Chicago to protect Lake Michigan, the source of our drinking water, as well as the health and safety of citizens and area waterways. We are an award-winning, special-purpose district responsible for treating wastewater and providing stormwater management for residents and businesses in ourservice areawhich encompasses 882.1 square miles and includes Chicago and 128 suburban communities throughout Cook County. The MWRD serves approximately 12.72 million people each day, including 5.19 million residents.
Some of the MWRD’s most notable achievements are reversing the flow of the Chicago and Calumet River Systems in the early 1900s, the construction of the North Shore Channel and the Tunnel and Reservoir Plan, which is also known as “TARP” or "Deep Tunnel.”
MWRD's Internship Program offers paid internship positions. While the main focus is on wastewater management, there are opportunities to gain knowledge and practical experience in a wide range of functions in each department.
Paid interns are limited to 119 working days per calendar year and receive $18.00 per hour. They do not receive benefits or paid days off.
- Letter of recommendation from a class instructor, professor, or Internship Coordinator from current school or university.
- Cover letter stating interest in position.
- Currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program in an accredited college or university and will be enrolled in the 2024/2025 school year.
- Permanent residency within the territorial boundaries of the MWRD (students may attend school outside the territorial boundaries).
- You must be a citizen or national of the United States, or an individual who is otherwise legally authorized to work in the United States.
Candidates are required to submit the Online Internship Application, cover letter, resume and letter of recommendation through MWRD’s Online Employment Center.
Questions regarding the internship program may be directed to MWRDInternships@mwrd.org.