Milwaukee is the major financial, medical, educational, sports, arts, entertainment, and transportation center for Wisconsin. The City of Milwaukee employs 7,600+ hard-working, service-oriented people in a wide range of positions. We seek people who are committed to keeping Milwaukee a desirable and safe place in which to live and work. We fill positions in general city government, the police force, the fire service, and in Milwaukee Public Schools (in non-teaching positions). The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, mass communications, or a related field from an accredited school or university.
- Three years of media affairs, public relations, or communications experience performing duties closely related to this position.
- A valid driver's license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
- Residency in the City of Milwaukee within six months of appointment and throughout employment.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- On-air experience in television or radio broadcast journalism.
- News media experience.
- Supervisory experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public relations, communications, and media affairs.
- Excellent oral and broadcast communication skills.
- Superior written and visual communication skills, including the ability to prepare written television scripts and write news releases, newsletters, speeches, reports, and various promotional materials.
- Knowledge of supervision and training techniques and ability to provide direction to staff.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships with elected officials, department heads and City managers, the news media, and the public.
- Ability to plan, organize, and accomplish work, manage multiple assignments simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Skill in analyzing and solving problems, as well as ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Skill in using standard computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation programs.
- General understanding of photography, graphic design, web page creation, and video production technology.