Fairview Health Services (fairview.org) is an award-winning, nonprofit health system providing exceptional care across the full spectrum of health care services. Fairview is one of the most comprehensive and geographically accessible systems in the state, with 12 hospitals—including an academic medical center and long-term care hospital—serving the greater Twin Cities metro area and north-central Minnesota.
Its broad continuum also includes 56 primary care clinics, specialty clinics, senior living communities, retail and specialty pharmacies, pharmacy benefit management services, rehabilitation centers, counseling and home health care services, medical transportation, an integrated provider network and health insurer PreferredOne. In partnership with the University of Minnesota, Fairview’s 32,000 employees and 2,400 affiliated providers embrace innovation to drive a healthier future through healing, discovery and education.
The Senior Communications Specialist partners with departmental leaders and division/function leaders to develop and execute specific communication plans that build relationships with internal and external stakeholders that advance our mission of healing, discovery and education. The Senior Communication Specialist works on specific project assignments that may include public relations/media outreach, technology implementations, employee benefit campaigns and changes, employee engagement, fundraising campaigns, and patient or employee storytelling campaigns. The Senior Communications Specialist executes a variety of tactics including presentations, web content, electronic newsletters, print newsletters, events, videos and interactive/social media. Senior Communications Specialists must be highly skilled collaborators, able to work well both independently and as part of a team, enjoy managing complex projects, possess strong writing and editing skills for a variety of media, be able to develop highly effective relationships with colleagues from many disciplines and at all levels of the organization, and enjoy executing a wide range of communication tactics.
Gain insight of stakeholders, issues, communication trends and environmental considerations.
- Understand core organizational strategies and business needs as well as owned and partner brands
- Understand core audiences and channels
- Understand communications best practices
- Understand integrated roles of communications, marketing, strategy, philanthropy and human resources
- Gather appropriate data and information from disparate sources
Develop strategies for internal/external communications for complex, high value/high risk projects to advance strategic growth initiatives leveraging key insights and functional expertise.
- Develop annual and time-limited communication plans for specific teams and initiatives
- Identify collaboration opportunities with communications and marketing colleagues
- Identify appropriate avenues to foster employee, physician and community engagement
- Use consistent processes, templates and tools to develop and execute plans
- Collaborate with marketing, public relations, media relations, creative services and others to leverage functional expertise.
Create communications that achieve results.
- Provide communications consultation to senior leaders, workgroups and others
- Identify and develop exceptional stories and capture in writing and/or video
- Identify and champion specific or unique communication delivery channels needed for audience segments
- Champion electronic communication solutions
- Write/produce for electronic and print publications
- Coordinate, produce and update online content
- Monitor effectiveness of all communication tactics and adjust approaches as needed
- Develop and foster partnerships with marketing, human resources, IT, facilities and other colleagues to coordinate internal and external messaging
- Track expenses and ensure projects are within budget
Evaluate communication performance (effectiveness and efficiency).
- Measure effectiveness and efficiency of communication initiatives
- Establish and track metrics for all communication efforts
- Measure desired outcomes
- Apply learnings to planning process
- Demonstrate return on communication investment